A periodontist is a dentist that specializes in treating patients with periodontal disease. Not only do these dentists provide treatment, but they also diagnose and offer preventative care to keep gum tissue healthy. Learning more about these professionals and the treatments they provide is essential for those who want to keep a healthy smile. With treatment from an Idaho Falls periodontist, tooth loss and other complications can often be avoided.
What Does a Periodontist Do?
Periodontists are dental specialists that diagnose, treat, and help prevent gum disease. Periodontal disease is a chronic inflammatory condition that impacts the health of the gum tissue. This progressive disease will eventually cause tooth loosening and loss.
How to Know If You Need a Periodontist?
There are a few telltale signs that may mean you need to see a periodontist. Being aware of these signs will protect your oral health.
- Bleeding gums are one of the most common signs people experience. The bleeding will often occur when brushing or flossing.
- When the gum tissue becomes red, swollen, and painful, individuals need to see a periodontist.
- Another sign of gum disease is chronic bad breath. Chronic bad breath results from infection in the gum tissue.
- Teeth that feel hot or cold and increased tooth sensitivity should not be ignored. These can be signs of gum disease.
- Teeth that become loose or lost can be caused by gum disease. Problems with chewing or changes in the way the teeth align should be checked by a periodontist.
- Receding gums is also a hallmark sign of gum disease. When the gums pull back from the teeth and expose the root tissue, this is a problem that can result in serious tooth health issues, including decay.
How to Choose a Periodontist
Those who have noticed the signs above need to seek periodontal care right away. Waiting too long to seek treatment will cause the disease to progress rapidly. Many people end up experiencing pronounced tooth loosening and eventual loss when they do not seek treatment as soon as possible. The following offers tips to help people find the right periodontist for their needs.
- Ask your dentist for a referral. Although, in many instances, a referral is not necessary, asking a dentist for help in finding a periodontist is beneficial.
- Asking friends and family is another sound way for people to learn about periodontists in their area. Getting the names of recommended specialists will help you get started.
- It is also important to check insurance coverage. Check to ensure the dentist is in your network to avoid problems with coverage.
- Touring the office is another important step in finding a periodontist. Ask to meet the dental specialist and staff members.
- Read patient reviews carefully. People are often quick to let others know when they are unhappy with a dentist.
Schedule an Appointment Right Away
Waiting too long to seek dental treatment for the above symptoms can be devastating. Gum disease is highly treatable, especially when caught early. If left in place, the condition of the gum tissue will deteriorate rapidly.
Mircari – Marketplace for Buying/Selling Preloved Products
Masako Katsura – The First Lady of Billiards That Brought Women into This Sport