Do you remember your last intrusive electrical surge?
There’s a good chance you don’t, at least not immediately. A power surge is swift, dangerous, and can cause extensive damage to the electrical components in your home which can leave you with an expensive repair bill.
While eventual surges in the number of global outages may be inevitable, we can all do something to limit the frequency and depth of those in our homes. By tracking your usage and paying attention to certain tell-tale signs, you can be prepared for the wild side of electricity.
Ready to know what causes a power surge? Let’s take a look.
Electrical overload is one of the most dangerous risks of electricity. It occurs when too much electricity, either voltage or current, is added to a network or circuit. This can cause a fire or an electric shock.
Electrical surges are short bursts of electricity that occur when there is a sudden shift in the flow of electricity. It is typically from external sources, such as lightning strikes. This can lead to electrical overload, and they should be taken very seriously.
It is important for households to have their home’s wiring checked periodically to identify any potential hazards. Devices that are not working correctly should be replaced as soon as possible.
Electricity has a wild side sometimes due to constant power surges in the house. One of the main culprits of these surges is faulty wiring. Electrical surges can occur when an object, such as an electrical appliance, surges more power than what the wiring is rated for.
This then causes a spike in the voltage of the property, risking damage to home circuitries, as well as to the appliance. Faulty wiring can vary from using aged and brittle wiring or wires of the incorrect size for the job.
This is why it is important to contact a professional from pesselectric.com when dealing with any electrical projects within the home. They will be able to ensure everything is properly installed and wiring is adequately rated, protecting you from any expensive repairs or safety hazards.
High-Power Electrical Devices
Power surges occur when too much electricity is sent to an electrical device and overloads it. High-power electrical devices are particularly susceptible to these surges due to the increased voltage involved.
The electrical device itself can also trigger a power surge. High-power devices typically draw a large and sudden amount of current, which can overload the electrical circuits.
Although these surges can damage certain devices, protective systems such as surge protectors can prevent further damage.
Understanding What Causes a Power Surge
Electricity is an incredible source of power, but something that must be respected and taken with extra precaution. Power surges can be incredibly damaging and so should be avoided as much as possible.
Surge protection is an essential precaution for any home or business owner! Be sure to invest in such protection today!
Did you find this article about what causes a power surge? If so, then check out our website for more awesome content like this.