As a homeowner, you already know that electrical problems can be daunting. From faulty wiring to outdated breakers, electrical issues can disappoint, scare and frustrate you at the same time. Also, since dealing with electricity is dangerous, the first instinct is to call for electricians in South East Melbourne immediately. However, not every electrical issue is alarming. Knowing common electrical problems and their solutions can save you from panic.
Therefore, we present an article to understand the most common electrical issues and how to fix them. Read on to learn the 12 most common electrical problems and their solutions.
If your breaker has tripped, it means that there is too much current running through it. To fix this issue, locate the breaker box in your home, flip the switch off, and then turn it back on again. It will reset the breaker, solving the problem.
Outdated breakers may not trip when too much current runs through them, leading to potential fire hazards in your home. If your breakers are over 20 years old, you should replace them with newer models for safety reasons. Ask the electricians in South East Melbourne for recommendations for the safety of your building.
Faulty wiring can be hazardous because it increases your home’s risk of electric shocks and fires. If you suspect faulty wiring in your home, contact a licensed electrician for help assessing and repairing any potential issues.
Sometimes we plug multiple appliances into one outlet all at once. It overloads the circuit causing a power cut. To prevent overloaded circuits, install additional outlets where possible or use power strips with built-in surge protectors to ensure an adequate power supply for all appliances plugged into one outlet.
Poor grounding occurs when homes do not have proper ground wires connected to their outlets or circuit boxes, which can lead to electric shocks if water accidentally enters an outlet or appliance. It is relatively easy to detect as outlets will often spark when touched or become hot quickly after being turned on or off several times in a row. If you think your outlets may be improperly grounded, contact licensed electricians in South East Melbourne to correct this issue before using any potentially affected outlets again.
Improper installation and daily wear and tear are the prime reasons behind a loose connection. These command caution since they can cause an electric shock or fire. Also, DIY isn’t the answer to a loose connection. Always call a licensed electrician to properly install the outlets and wiring before returning the power.
Exposed or naked wires occur when insulation wears away from cables, exposing them. It increases the risk of electric shock, so exposed wires need immediate attention from a qualified electrician who can repair them without endangering anyone’s safety.
Inadequate lighting occurs when lights don’t produce enough illumination for you to work safely in areas like bathrooms, kitchens, garages, and other indoor spaces. To increase lighting output, consider switching out incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs which last longer while producing more lumens per watt than conventional bulbs. Alternatively, installing additional light fixtures will also increase illumination levels.
Dead outlets happen when electricity stops flowing through an outlet altogether due to faulty wiring, overloaded circuits, tripped breakers, or worn-out outlets. The best way to determine if an outlet is dead is by testing it with another working appliance, such as a lamp or vacuum cleaner, before calling an electrician for assistance repairing any potential issues.
Loose switches happen when screws holding switches come undone over time due to repeated usage of powered devices like hair dryers or curling irons. To fix this issue, tighten all screws on switches using a screwdriver before plugging any devices into affected outlets again.
When appliances start heating up excessively during use (e.g., hairdryers, vacuum cleaners etc.), something within the device might malfunction or break, resulting in dangerous fire hazards if left unchecked. Unplug these items immediately before calling an electrician for assistance with fixing any underlying issues causing overheating.
Flickering lights happen when there are loose connections between bulbs and light fixtures. It results from broken ballast components inside light fixtures which cause lights to flicker on/off unpredictably during normal operation hours. If you are facing blinking lights, contact the electricians in South East Melbourne for a careful inspection and repair. Flickering lights can be due to a loose connection, or it may also happen if the bulb requires replacement. You can try replacing the bulb, and if there isn’t an improvement, the only way is to call for licensed electricians.
In a Nutshell
Electrical problems can range from minor inconveniences like flickering lights to life-threatening situations caused by faulty wiring or poor grounding systems. Therefore, understanding how these common electrical issues arise and how to solve them is essential knowledge for homeowners and DIYers alike. Contact a qualified licensed technician immediately if you are unsure about handling any electrical work. Also, spot the circuit breaker and switch it off until the electricians arrive to avoid the chances of an electrical fire.
Always contact a licensed, insured and reliable technician such as Direct Point Electrical PTY LTD. so there aren’t any risks and you can accomplish the task with the help of a highly experienced team.