As a student, you may have already worked on diverse types of essays. But at some point, you’ll definitely encounter the dreaded writer’s block. Now, if you ever have any issues finding the right topic for your paper, you can use some inspiration.
Lucky for you, you’ll find something to be inspired about when you’re in search of ideas for writing different types of essay papers. So, browse through this list below and take your pick from some of the unusual yet suitable essay writing topics.
Narrative essay topics
- Narrate an experience that involves the indomitable human spirit and how it changed you.
- Elaborate on an experience of grief and how you coped with it.
- Write about the most memorable holiday you’ve had.
- Describe a prized possession that you own and its significance in your life.
- Elaborate on an influential figure that you look up to and talk about their influence in your life.
- Write about you dealt with a difficult situation you’ve had to face.
- Elaborate on a particular decision you took that turned out to be life-changing for you.
- Elaborate on a regret that you will always have.
- Write about a book or a movie that left an indelible impression on you.
- One cultural norm about your specific region that you find particularly intriguing.
- Write about a lost habit and describe the memories around it.
Compare and contrast essay topics
- Present a comparison between traditional classroom education and online education.
- Draw up a comparison between fiction and nonfiction literature.
- Compare the theories of socialism and capitalism with valid examples.
- Present a comparison between living in a town and living in a city.
- Compare and contrast the portrayal of Neo-realism in French and Italian cinema.
- Perform a comparative study on the musical genres of jazz and blues.
- Present a comparison between dictatorship and democracy with concrete examples.
- Draw up a comparison between folklore and urban fantasy in literature.
- Discuss the similarities between the leadership of Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler.
- Present a comparison between idealism and realism.
- Draw up a comparison between Gertrude and Lady Macbeth.
Expository essay topics
- Explain the connection of music with human behavior and the mind.
- Provide an explanation of why children from dysfunctional families suffer from a mental disorder.
- Explain the consequences of Brexit for the nations that are part of the EU.
- Elaborate how the outbreak of coronavirus affects the global economy.
- Explain the impact of the environment in developing consumer behavior.
- Explain why it’s important to develop an alternative system for standardized testing to assess the academic capabilities of students at various levels.
- Explain why it’s important to develop proper organization skills.
- Provide a detailed explanation of how artificial intelligence is implemented in the education process.
- Elucidate on the phenomenon of lucid dreaming
- Has social media affected interpersonal communications?
Persuasive essay topics
- Discuss the contribution of mass media in promoting unrealistic standards of beauty.
- Can internet censorship be achieved without affecting the freedom of speech and expression of individuals?
- Should the corporate sector push for a more remote workforce and outsourcing?
- Does the personalized learning approach benefit the students with learning difficulties the most?
- Discuss the necessity of the inclusion of arts in STEM education and its impact.
- Should good grades be the only determining factor to check if a student is learning?
- Present your opinion on why schools and institutions should focus on teaching important life skills alongside textbook knowledge.
- Discuss how the boom of e-commerce businesses is affecting the small home-grown initiatives.
- Is capitalism still a relevant economic system? Present valid arguments along with your answer.
- Has climate change escalated to the point of no redemption?
- Elaborate on the reasons why children should be taught more real-life stories of heroism instead of the stories of princesses and fairies.
Cause and effect essay topics
- Elaborate on the psychological impact of war on the veterans of the army.
- Discuss the causes and effects of Cyberbullying.
- How Covid-19 resulted in increased unemployment in the country.
- The impact of augmented reality in the classroom learning environment.
- Discuss how mental illnesses can affect physical abilities in people.
- Elaborate on how business organizations reducing their carbon footprint can help with the ongoing climate crisis.
- Discuss how climate change can affect human lives if not addressed immediately.
- Is voter suppression a cause of systemic racism? Discuss with valid evidence.
- Explain the reasons why ensuring data security is important.
- Elaborate on the effects of gender discrimination in the workplace.
- Reasons why feminism is looked down upon even though it’s about equal opportunities.
Critical essay topics
- Present a critical analysis on why eating disorders are so common among teenagers.
- Explain how social media is slowly eradicating the stigma around mental health.
- Critically analyze the character of Daisy Buchanan from The Great Gatsby.
- Elaborate on the concept of social injustice in Oliver Twist.
- Present a critical insight into whether the younger generation is more conscientious about the issues that the world is facing in recent times.
- Discuss the necessity of space explorations when the world is reeling under one crisis after another.
- Critically analyze how the black lives matter movement is reflected through art.
- Present a critical overview of the necessity of internet censorship amidst the rising cases of cyberbullying and trolling.
- Provide a critical analysis on students becoming taking control of their own learning process.
- Is mass media more drawn to sensationalism? Present your ideas with adequate examples.
Argumentative essay topics
- Present an argument on the importance of empathy in marketing.
- Are beauty brands promoting clean and vegan skincare only a gimmick?
- Is it true that patriarchy starts with women? Present your argument with valid examples.
- Discuss whether there should be a law that compels people to recycle.
- Is it possible to distribute the wealth among different strata of people equally to maintain a balance?
- Should graffiti be considered art?
- Present an argument on why it’s necessary to include art in STEM education.
- Is social media ruining the art of having conversations? Present your argument with examples.
- Is the lack of stringent government policy to blame for the student loan debt crisis in the USA?
- Present your argument against the lack of sufficient action of the US government to deal with the climate crisis.
Analytical essay topics
- Discuss how some people are more or less prone to peer pressure.
- Present an analysis of the historical context of Christopher Marlowe’s Edward II.
- Present an analysis on how to expand the telemedicine facility in the remote areas of underdeveloped countries.
- Provide an analysis of the reforms initiated to fill the gender pay gaps in your country.
- An analysis of the character of Santiago in The Old Man and The Sea.
- An analysis on emphasis on common core mathematics in the US education system.
- Is cryptocurrency a legitimate form of investment or just a passing trend?
- Does the US government focus n adequate training of the teachers to help them carry out the changing learning landscape?
- Analyze how the mass media of today contributes to stereotypes and cultural appropriation.
- Analyze the impact of Covid-19 on the hospitality industry.
Reflective essay topics
- A special moment that you have encountered when living alone in a different city.
- Elaborate on one habit that has caused trouble for you in the past.
- Share your experience when you were caught in the midst of a natural calamity.
- Write about one habit of people that you find annoying.
- One childhood experience that you wish to have as an adult too.
- Elaborate on your experience of coping with grief and loss.
- Write about a time you laughed uncontrollably.
- Describe an experience when you helped someone in need.
- Elaborate on an event or incident when a tiny action of yours left a lasting impact.
- A skill that you find particularly difficult to acquire.
- Why online reputation management is crucial for businesses to consider today?
- Is Macbeth an anti-hero or a villain? Present your response with clarity.
- Discuss if the US government’s role in curbing the rates of childhood obesity is successful or not.
- How to find the line between the concept of body positivity and promoting obesity?
- Write about a book that your friends love, but you didn’t really enjoy.
- Have social media made us more intolerant and judgemental as a human beings?
- Discuss how casteism and racism are deeply rooted in our everyday life.
- Explain the impact of the work culture on the performance and productivity of the employees.
- Do you think the Renaissance era arts and literature are progressive?
- Why the ‘cancel culture’ has become a norm in an age of social media?
Any time you find yourself hit by writer’s block, you can take a look at this list for some much-needed inspiration for your next essay. This way, you can avoid the struggle of finding a perfect topic for your essay paper.
Author bio: Clara Smith is a guest lecturer for a renowned college in the USA. Asher has completed her Ph.D. in English Literature from Seton Hall University. She loves reading poetry and blogging in her free time. She’s also an essay writer for Allessaywriter.com and offers assistance to students.